Short Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
DAY 1: CUSCO – 104 KMS – WIÑAYHUAYNA – SUN GATE – MACHU PICCHU
With a compacted 2 days of excitement ahead, we will pick you up from your hotel at 4:00AM and drive you to the train station. After an hour and ten minute scenic Expedition Train ride to 104 kms, (elevation 2,100m/6,927ft) we arrive at the place where we begin our trek. At this point we begin a moderate climb for three hours to the chiseled remnants and remote archaeological site of Wiñayhuana, (2,650m/8747 ft). Enjoy the spectacular plunging views of the Urubamba Canyon, and the ethnic wonders of the ancient Inca sites. As you embrace them with an open mind and heart your connection with the ancient Inca Trail will begin. After becoming one with this beautiful sight, we will continue onward towards the Sun Gate. (2,730mts/9,007ft) Following the ancient remote footpath we get our first spectacular view of Machu Picchu Citadel in all its brilliance and majesty. As we move closer to Machu Picchu you will sense her mystical presence. When we arrive at Machu Picchu, we will take local tourist bus to Aguas Calientes, where you will spend the night in our hotel.
- Meals: Box Lunch & Dinner.
- Accommodation: Hotel Ferre´ Machu Picchu
- Difficulty: Moderate.
DAY 2: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO
Today you will get to enjoy exploring Machu Picchu and understand why the Incas called her the Old Sacred Mountain. Even today she has magical and mysterious presence that is hard to explain. If your group takes the first bus at 5:30AM to the Machu Picchu Citadel, you may be in time to enjoy the sunrise over Machu Picchu.
Your guide will expertly direct you through the energetic ruins and its diverse main streets on your early morning tour of Machu Picchu. On your tour be sure to take time to soak in the pure majesty of her presence, and enjoy the pure delight of the moment.
Here are a couple of alternative activities that you might wish to indulge in your tour on your own:
- Climb up Huayna Picchu Mountain and appreciate the beauty and magnificence of Machu Picchu below (not included in your tour price and must be booked way in advance to guarantee a ticket).
- In Aguas Calientes a visit to the new local museum or to the hot springs (entrance fees required)
You will descend to Aguas Calientes when you are ready to eat lunch and later on board the Expedition Train at pm 2:55 PM or 3:20 PM for the return trip to Cusco, stopping at the Ollantaytambo Train Station and from there you will be driven back to your hotel in Cusco in our private van arriving at around 7 PM.
- Meal: Breakfast
- Difficulty: Easy.
Note: It is possible to upgrade to Vistadome Train from Aguas Caliente to Cusco (Poroy), see times and prices below.
WHAT IS INCLUDED FOR THE SHORT INCA TRAIL TO MACHU PICCHU?
- Pick up at your hotel
- Private transport from your hotel to the train station
- 3 Bus tickets from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu and back to Aguas Calientes
- English speaking professional guide experienced in trekking.
- Private guided tour in Machu Picchu.
- Expedition Train from Ollantaytambo to KM104 to start your trek.
- Expedition Train- from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo with private van back to Cusco.
- Admission Tickets to the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu Archaeological sites.
- One night accommodation in Aguas Calientes in a 3 star hotel (hot shower, private room and bathroom, plus breakfast included)
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen tank
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED NOT INCLUDED FOR THE SHORT INCA TRAIL TO MACHU PICCHU?
- Wayna Picchu Mountain US$75.
- First breakfast on day 1 (Usually served in your Hotel).
- Last lunch at Aguas Caliente.
- Upgraded Hotel to 4 or 5 star.
- Vistadome Train to Cusco instead of Expedition Train, Please add US$67 per person (For the return only to Cusco (Poroy) at 2:55 PM, 3:20PM, and 4:43 PM)
- Tips for our staff (Sam Travel Peru staff receives a fair and decent payment immediately after they end their trip, tips are optional but greatly appreciated)
Price & Availability
The Short Inca Trail to Machu Picchu is almost always available year round as long as permits are available except it is closed in February for maintenance. We only need a minimum of two people in order to book. This trek takes you into Machu Picchu by walking through the Sun Gate like in the ancient times. You will explore some amazing Inca ruins along the way like Wiñaywayna Inca City.
- US$477 per person without a hotel included.
- US$497 per person with a 3 star hotel (single traveler supplement $40 extra. Trek prices are based on double occupancy).
- Huayna Picchu Mountain Hike: US$75 per person
- Vistadome Train: US$67 per person – (For the return to Cusco (Poroy) at 2:55, 3:20, & 4:43 PM.
- Single supplement US$40 per night for hotel (for solo travellers with single room. Prices based on double occupancy).
- Free duffle bag (5 kilos): to your hotel in Aguas Calientes for those staying extra days
- 18 to 25 years old: US$30 Information required on student card: name of university, student name, photo of student, expiration date etc. A copy of the card at booking is required & government approval for discount.
- Under 18 years old: US$30 Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Under 11 years old: US$40 Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
CHECK YOUR SHORT INCA TRAIL MACHU PICCHU TREK AVAILABILITY BY CLICKING ON MONTH OF YOUR CHOICE!
FREE ADDED VALUES
- Transfer From Airport to your hotel in Cusco included (Airport to Hotel in Cusco only).
- Small Groups – average 4 to 6 with a maximum of 8 hikers.
- Afternoon Train – We give you enough time to explore Machu Picchu and have a relaxing lunch at Aguas Calientes (lunch not included). Your train back to Ollantaytambo is at 2:55 PM or 3:30 PM. When you arrive in Ollantaytambo you catch your private van to Cusco, arriving in Cusco by 7 PM.
- 3 Star Hotel at Aguas Calientes, which includes private bathroom, hot shower, buffet breakfast, and wifi etc.
“Please read carefully the following information; it will help you answer all of your questions about our services and the Short IncaTrail Machu Picchu”
WELCOME TO CUSCO
You will be welcomed at Cusco airport and taken to your hotel, please ensure that you inform us of your full flight details at least 14 days prior to your trek. Look out for our representative holding an orange board Short Inca Trail Machu Picchu at the arrival terminal. You must exit the terminal in order to find our representative (they cannot enter inside). We can pick you up on any date that is best suited to you!
It will take place the night before the trekking departure at 6pm in our office which is located at Calle Garcilaso #210 (second floor), in La Casa del Abuelo shopping center.
CAN I STORE MY LUGGAGE AT YOUR OFFICE:
Of course! During the Short Inca Trail to Machu Picchu your main luggage can be store at our office or at your hotel, both are for free. Please do not pack anything you will need for your hike.
HOW TO BOOK THE SHORT INCA TRAIL MACHU PICCHU?
FIRST, to book your Short Inca Trail Machu Picchu, we need you to fill out our booking form by clicking on BOOK NOW on our homepage or click here the link BOOK NOW.
Please be ready with the following information (FROM EACH PARTICIPANT in your group). We cannot purchase an Short Inca Trail Machu Picchu permit without the following information:
- Personal information (your full name, exactly as on your passport):
- Passport number
- D.O.B. (dd/mm/yyyy)
SECOND, we require a deposit of US$211.00 (US$200 + US$11) which includes a 5.5% service charge by PayPal and Visa per person. In order for us to purchase a permit for the 2 day Inca Trail Machu Picchu please make your deposit by clicking on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on the top of our home page, or you can click on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on our booking page or click here on the payment type of your choice, either VISA or PAYPAL,
WHAT ABOUT THE BALANCE?
It would be greatly appreciated if you pay in cash at our office (US dollars or Peruvian soles) here in Cusco. We have many cash machines in the historical center to withdraw money. You can also pay by VISA or PAYPAL online but you will have to pay a 5.5% service charge, charged by VISA and PAYPAL. To pay your balance through PAYPAL, you need to log into your PAYPAL account using our email address of firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW DO I QUALIFY FOR THE STUDENT DISCOUNT?
- According to Peruvian Law you must be under 18 years of age at the time of your trek, tour, or visit to Machu Picchu (students 18 & above need student cards). For example if you book a trek at the age of 17 but you turn 18 before you do your trek, you do not qualify for a student discount.
- All students from 11 to 17 years, the discount is $30.
- For children from the age of 2 to 11 the discount is $40.
- For children from the age of 0 to 2 are free.
- All students must provide a copy of their passport at the time of their booking to get the student discount.
MAY I CHANGE THE DEPARTURE DATE AFTER THE TICKETS HAVE BEEN BOUGHT?
Unfortunately the answer is “NO”. Once the tickets have been bought the government does not allow any changes, so we can’t change any departure date after the ticket has been bought. The Short Inca Trail Machu Picchu tickets are also not transferable nor refundable.
If you cancel your Short Inca Trail Machu Picchu, the deposit is not refundable at all!
DO I NEED MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT ON THE SHORT INCA TRAIL MACHU PICCHU?
Yes for sure! You have to bring your original passport and it is very important that it is the same passport number you sent to us to book your Short Inca Trail Machu Picchu permit. The rangers will check every day and when you enter Machu Picchu. The train company will also check your passport before allowing you to board the train. In case you are renewing your passport, go ahead and send us your old number to secure your permit, and we can change it when you get your new passport number…if so, please send the new passport number as soon as possible.
WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE IN THE SHORT INCA TRAIL MACHU PICCHU?
First I would say that the weather is very unpredictable and it’s difficult to foresee. However, you will have many different varieties of weather as you pass through the numerous microclimates and will depend on the location. We highly recommend you to bring some warm clothes and good rain gear in your day backpack.
WHAT ABOUT ALTITUDE SICKNESS?
In general if you have regular exercise and spend a couple of days in Cusco, or in the Sacred Valley for acclimatization to the altitude, you may be fine.
The recommended medicine for altitude sickness is WATER, COCA TEA and OXYGEN IF NEEDED; our guides are trained to treat you for Altitude Sickness. See our detailed information about Altitude Sickness under FAQS.
We offer the Cusco City Tour or Sacred Valley Tour that you can book while you are acclimatizing. Check out our Day Tours on our Home Page.
HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE THERE PER GROUP?
The maximum group size is 8 persons. Usually our groups are between 2-6 persons. Sam Travel Peru is specialised in SMALL and PRIVATE groups and provide a personalised service.
WHAT DOES THE SHORT INCA TRAIL MACHU PICCHU LOOK LIKE IN THE PEAK SEASON?
It could get a bit crowded but with the regulations in place by the government to limit the amount of persons per day, there is enough space for everyone. To improve your experience on the Short Inca Trail Machu Picchu, we have small groups with expert guides.
ARE WE DROPPED AT OUR HOTEL AFTER THE SHORT INCA TRAIL MACHU PICCHU?
Absolutely! Included in our packages is dropping you off at your hotel on the return from your trek or tour. If you have booked your hotel in the Sacred Valley like Ollantaytambo or Urubamba, we will drop you there too!
If you spend the night at Ollantaytambo before the trek, we wil pick you up there.
AT WHAT TIME IS THE TRAIN’S DEPARTURE?
It will depend on the train availability but the idea is to give you as much time as possible in Machu Picchu and enjoy the amazing views on the way back to Cusco from the train. Therefore you will take the train at 2:55 PM or 3:20 PM depending on availability.
VISTADOME TRAIN UPGRADE; HOW MUCH IS IT?
For sure you may upgrade to Vistadome train which has slightly nicer seats, panoramic windows and ceiling. You will be offered some snacks and a dance show will take place on board. The price is US$57 per person which includes the transfer from Poroy (Cusco) train station to your hotel in Cusco. It is 2 hours by train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo and then another 2 hours from Ollantaytambo to Cusco by bus. If you upgrade to the Vistadome Train, the trip from Aguas Calientes to Poroy (Cusco), takes 3.5 hours, and then 25 minutes by taxi to your hotel. Usually our clients are back at their hotel by 7 or 8 PM depending on which train time you take. If you plan to take the bus to Puno on the same night, that is totally possible.
If you’re happy with the services provided, a tip – though not compulsory – is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it’s of great significance for the people who will take care of you during the trek. It inspires excellent service and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many SAM Travel Peru destinations. Of course you are free to tip more or less as you feel, depending on your perception of the quality and the length of your trip. Remember, a tip is not compulsory and should only be given when you receive excellent service.
ARE WE SUSTAINABLE?
Yes, we are a local sustainable & responsible tourism operator in that we incorporate the universal principles of tourism: protect the environment and benefit the local communities respecting their culture and religion. With this in mind, we have trained all our staff to know, understand and respect the local places and it´s people.
PACKING LIST FOR THE SHORT INCA TRAIL MACHU PICCHU
The Short Inca Trail Machu Picchu DOES NOT INCLUDE the extra porter, so, you will need to carry all your things, please try to pack as light as possible which is the key to enjoying this amazing trek.
- Original Passport (it has to be the same you have used for booking your trek)
- Good daypack (25 to 30 liters)
- Water 1 to 2 liters of water
- Comfortable hiking boots with ankle support
- Toilet Paper
- 1 T-shirt
- 1 hiking or comfortable pants
- Hiking socks
- Polar or sweater for early mornings and evenings
- Jacket if cold season
- Face moisturizer
- Hand Sanitizer
- Wet wipes
- Toothbrush and paste
- Personal medications
- Sun Hat
- Wool Hat if cold season for evenings or early morning
- Rain jacket – rainy season
- Snacks like chocolate bars, cereal bars or any dry fruit
- Extra Money for Souvenirs, Drinks & Tips.