What to Expect in Regards to Time Periods to Complete the Short Inca Trail MAP!
- From Cusco to Ollantaytambo is about 1 hour and 45 minutes by private van.
- Ollantaytambo Train Station to KM 104 is 1 hour and 10 minutes by train where you start your trek.
- KM 104 to Wiñay Huayna is about 3 hours mostly uphill trekking with lots of steps, difficulty moderate but varies based on your fitness level.
- Wiñay Huayna to Sun Gate is about 1 hour with stretches of steep steps upward and then down.
- Sun Gate to Machu Picchu is about 1 hour downhill steps and easy for most trekkers to complete.
- All trekkers (1 day or 2 days) will receive a 2 hour guided tour of Machu Picchu.
Times vary depending on level of fitness and group pace, for the 1 day Inca Trail you need to be moderately fit in order to hike it in one day and arrive in time to do your Machu Picchu tour.
View map below:
Short Inca Trail Map
Why hike the 2 days Inca Trail?
- You are hiking the last 1/3 of the famous Classic Inca Trail that everyone worldwide desires to hike.
- It is a trek through history with archeological sites all along the way to view and explore.
- The views from the Sun Gate to Machu Picchu Citadel are spectacular.
- You have the opportunity to climb Huayna Picchu Mountain or Machu Picchu Mountain.
- You are hiking the actual trail that the Ancient Incas hiked more than 600 year ago.
- You get to visit Machu Picchu Citadel twice, the 1st and 2nd day of the trek.