The desire to experience the Short Inca Trail to Machu Picchu comes from the stunning Inca ruins, spectacular side by side mountains, lush vegetation and remarkable ecological varieties. The Inca Trail hikes up and enters into Machu Picchu through the Sun Gate with the most famous, unforgettable views, through cloud forest and finally into subtropical vegetation. Ending at the magnificent wonder of the world: Machu Picchu. Trekkers on the Short Inca Trail to Machu Picchu have the privilege of visiting the Ancient Machu Picchu City two times, on the 1st day when they arrive to Machu Picchu and the second day when they take a tour with their guide. The second day, you will be transported by shuttle bus from Machu Picchu Pueblo, just in time for sunrise over the mountains and Machu Picchu (2,400m/7907ft), you then begin your exploration of the natural world and ancient culture in the City of Machu Picchu. Catch yourself as you travel back in time to this magical, sacred, and mysterious place, known as Machu-Picchu, “The Old Sacred Mountain.” Take your time exploring magestic Machu Picchu, the Incan ruins rich in history of its past and the thriving culture of the people who lived there once upon a time.
DAY 1: CUSCO – 104 kms – WIÑAYHUAYNA – SUN GATE – MACHU PICCHU
With a compacted 2 days of excitement ahead, we will pick you up from your hotel at 4:00am and drive you to the train station. After an hour and ten minute scenic Expedition train ride to 104 kms point (elevation 2,100m/6,927ft) we arrive at the place where we begin our trek. At this point we begin a moderate climb for three hours to the chiseled remnants and remote archaeological site of Wiñayhuana, (2,650m/8747 ft). Enjoy the spectacular plunging views of the Urubamba Canyon, and the ethnic wonders of the ancient Inca sites, as you embrace them with an open mind and heart your connection with the ancient Inca Trail will begin. After your being at one with this beautiful sight, we will continue onward towards the Sun Gate. (2,730mts/9,007ft) Following the ancient remote footpath we get our first spectacular view of Machu Picchu Citadel in all its brilliance and majesty. As we move closer to the citadel of Machu Picchu you will feel her mystical presence. Then we will take our bus to Aguas Calientes, where we will spend the night in our hotel.
- Meals: Box Lunch & Dinner.
- Accommodation: Wiracocha Inn Hotel or Andean Terra Hotel
- Difficulty: Moderate.
DAY 2: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO
Today you will get to enjoy exploring Machu Picchu and experience her magical presence by taking the first bus at 5:30AM to the Machu Picchu archeological site. If you hurry you will get to see the sunrise over Machu Picchu. Take your time, making sure you tour every nook and cranny of this New 7 Wonder of the World and UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site. It is an unforgettable experience.
Your guide will expertly direct you through the energetic ruins and its diverse main streets. Then on your own, wander around the town squares of the world’s spiritual center of esoteric wisdom as well as climb the intricately carved stairways made of stone. Or stay still and drink in the pure majesty of her presence, and enjoy the pure delight of the moment.
Here are a few of alternative activities that you might wish to indulge in on your own:
- Climb up Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain and appreciate the beauty and magnificence of Machu Picchu (not included in your tour price and must be booked in advance.)
- You will be given some time to walk to the Sun Gate or Inti Punku (free of charge)
- Other optional activities in Aguas Calientes include a visit to the new local museum or to the hot springs (entrance fees required)
You will descend to Aguas Calientes when you are ready to eat lunch and later on board the Expedition train at 4:22pm for the return trip to Cusco stopping at the Ollantaytambo Train Station and you will be driven back to your hotel in Cusco from Ollantaytambo in our private van arriving at around 8pm.
- Meal: Breakfast
- Difficulty: Easy.
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- Pick up at your hotel
- Private transport from your hotel to the train station
- 3 Bus tickets from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu and back to Aguas Calientes
- English speaking professional guide experienced in trekking and degree in archaeology.
- Private guided tour in Machu Picchu
- Expedition Tourist Train from Ollantaytambo to KM104 – Ollantaytambo with private bus connection to Cusco.
- Admission Tickets to the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu Archaeological site.
- One night accommodation in Aguas Calientes (hot shower,bathroom, private room and breakfast included)
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen tank
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
- Wayna Picchu Mountain US$75
- Machu Picchu Mountain US $70
- First breakfast (Usually served in Hotel), Last lunch at Machu Picchu
- OPTIONAL UPGRADES: Hotel
- VISTADOME Train to Cusco instead of Expedition Train, Please add US$57 per person (For the return only to Cusco (Poroy) at 4:43 pm)
- Tips for your staff (Sam Travel Peru staff receives a fair and decent payment immediately after they end their trip, tips are optional but greatly appreciated)
Price & Availability
The Short Inca Trail Machu Picchu is available on almost any day that suits your schedule – we only need a minimum of two people in order to book.
- US$457 per person with a 2 star hotel (single traveler supplement $30 extra)
- US$497 per person with a 3 star hotel (single traveler supplement $40 extra)
- Huayna Picchu Mountain Hike: US$75 per person
- Machu Picchu Mountain Hike: US$70 per person
- Vistadome Train: US$57 per person – (For the return to Cusco (Poroy) at 4:43 pm
- Single supplement US$30 per night (for solo travellers with single room)
- Free duffle bag (5 kilos): to your hotel in Aguas Calientes for those staying extra days
- 18 to 25 years old: US$30 Information required on student card: name of university, student name, photo of student, expiration date etc. A copy of the card at booking is required & government approval for discount.
- Under 18 years old: US$30 Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Under 11 years old: US$40 Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
*** The short Inca trail Machu Picchu is almost always available year round except it is closed in February for maintenance — This trek takes you into Machu Picchu by walking through the SUN GATE like in the ancient times, you will explore some amazing Inca ruins along the way like Wiñaywayna Inca City.
CHECK YOUR SHORT INCA TRAIL MACHU PICCHU TREK AVAILABILITY BY CLICKING ON MONTH OF YOUR CHOICE!
FREE ADDED VALUES
- TRANSFER FROM AIRPORT: to your hotel in Cusco included (Airport to Hotel in Cusco only).
- SMALL GROUPS: average 4 to 6 with a maximum of 8 hikers
- AFTERNOON TRAIN: We give you enough time to explore Machu Picchu and have a relaxing lunch at Aguas Calientes. Your train back to Ollantaytambo is at 4:22pm, and when you arrive in Ollantaytambo you catch your private van to Cusco, arriving in Cusco by 8:30 PM.
- HOTEL AT AGUAS CALIENTE CITY: includes private bathroom, hot shower, buffet breakfast, and wifi etc.
“Please read carefully the following information; it will help you answer all of your questions about our services and the Short IncaTrail Machu Picchu”
WELCOME TO CUSCO
You will be welcomed at Cusco airport and taken to your hotel, please ensure that you inform us of your full flight details at least 14 days prior to your trek. Look out for our representative holding an orange board SAM Travel Peru at the arrival terminal. You must exit the terminal in order to find our representative (they cannot enter inside) It can be done on any date that is best suited to you!
It will take place the night before the trekking departure at 6pm in our office which is located at Calle Santa Teresa Nº383 ; 303 (second floor), we are next to SUBWAY restaurant.
CAN I STORE MY LUGGAGE AT YOUR OFFICE:
Of course! During the Short Inca Trail Machu Picchu your main luggage can be store at our office or at your hotel, both are for free. Please don´t pack anything you will need for your hike.
HOW TO BOOK THE SHORT INCA TRAIL MACHU PICCHU?
Please be ready with the following information (FROM EACH PARTICIPANT in your group). We cannot purchase an Short Inca Trail Machu Picchu permit without the following information:
- Personal information (your full name, exactly as on your passport):
- Passport number
- D.OB. (dd / mm / yyyy)
SECOND, we require a deposit of US$200.00 per person in order to purchase a permit for the Short Inca Trail Machu Picchu. You can make you deposit by clicking on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on the top of our home page, or you can click on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on our booking page or click here on the payment of your choice, either VISA or PAYPAL,
WHAT ABOUT THE BALANCE?
It would be greatly appreciated if you pay in cash at our office (US dollars or Peruvian soles) here in Cusco. We have many cash machines in the historical center to withdraw money. You can also pay by VISA or PAYPAL online but you will have to pay a 5.5% service charge, charged by VISA and PAYPAL. To pay your balance through PAYPAL, you need to log into your PAYPAL account using our email address of firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW DO I QUALIFY FOR THE STUDENT DISCOUNT?
- According to Peruvian Law you must be under 18 years of age at the time of your trek, tour, or visit to Machu Picchu (students 18 & above need student cards). For example if you book a trek at the age of 17 but you turn 18 before you do your trek, you do not qualify for a student discount.
- All students from 11 to 17 years, the discount is $30.
- For children from the age of 2 to 11 the discount is $40.
- For children from the age of 0 to 2 are free.
- All students must provide a copy of their passport at the time of their booking to get the student discount.
- Send us a copy at email@example.com
MAY I CHANGE THE DEPARTURE DATE AFTER THE TICKETS HAVE BEEN BOUGHT?
Unfortunately the answer is “No”. Once the tickets have been bought the government does not allow any changes, so we can’t change any departure date after the ticket has been bought. The Short Inca Trail Machu Picchu tickets are also not transferable nor refundable.
*** If you cancel your Short Inca Trail Machu Picchu, the deposit is not refundable at all!
DO I NEED MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT ON THE SHORT INCA TRAIL MACHU PICCHU?
Yes for sure! You have to bring your original passport and it is very important that it is the same passport number you sent to us to book your Short Inca Trail Machu Picchu permit. The rangers will check every day and when you enter Machu Picchu. The train company will also check your passport before allowing you to board the train. In case you are renewing your passport, go ahead and send us your old number to secure your permit, and we can change it when you get your new passport number…if so, please send the new passport number as soon as possible.
WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE IN THE SHORT INCA TRAIL MACHU PICCHU?
First I would say that the weather is very unpredictable and it’s difficult to foresee. BUT you will have many different varieties of weather as you pass through the numerous microclimates and will depend on the location. We highly recommend you to bring some warm clothes and good rain gear in your day backpack.
WHAT ABOUT ALTITUDE SICKNESS?
In general if you have regular exercise and spend a couple of days in Cusco, or in the Sacred Valley for acclimatisation to the altitude, you may be fine.
The recommended medicine for altitude sickness is WATER, COCA TEA and OXYGEN IF NEEDED; our guides are trained to treat you for Altitude Sickness. See our detailed information about Altitude Sickness under FAQS.
We offer the Cusco City Tour or Sacred Valley Tour that you can book while you are acclimatizing. Check out our Day Tours on our Home Page.
HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE THERE PER GROUP?
The maximum group size is 8 persons. Usually our groups are between 2-6 persons. Sam Travel Peru is specialised in SMALL and PRIVATE groups and provide a personalised service.
WHAT DOES THE SHORT INCA TRAIL MACHU PICCHU LOOK LIKE IN THE PEAK SEASON?
It could get a bit crowded but with the regulations in place by the government to limit the amount of persons per day, there is enough space for everyone. To improve your experience on the Short Inca Trail Machu Picchu, we have small groups with expert guides.
ARE WE DROPPED AT OUR HOTEL AFTER THE SHORT INCA TRAIL MACHU PICCHU?
Absolutely! Included in our packages is dropping you off at your hotel on the return from your trek or tour. If you have booked your hotel in the Sacred Valley like Ollantaytambo or Urubamba, we will drop you there too!
If you spend the night at Ollantaytambo before the trek, we wil pick you up there.
AT WHAT TIME IS THE TRAIN’S DEPARTURE?
It will depend on the train availability but the idea is to give you as much time as possible in Machu Picchu and enjoy the amazing views on the way back to Cusco from the train. Therefore you will take the train at 4:22pm. With this train schedule, you will have more than 9 hours to enjoy Machu Picchu
VISTADOME TRAIN UPGRADE; HOW MUCH IS IT?
For sure you may upgrade to Vistadome train which has slightly nicer seats, panoramic windows and ceiling. You will be offered some snacks and a dance show will take place on board. The price is US$57 per person which includes the transfer from Poroy (Cusco) train station to your hotel in Cusco. It is 2 hours by train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo and then another 2 hours from Ollantaytambo to Cusco by bus. If you upgrade to the Vistadome Train, the trip from Aguas Calientes to Poroy (Cusco), takes 3.5 hours, and then 25mins by taxi to your hotel. Usually our clients are back at their hotel by 8pm. If you plan to take the bus to Puno on the same night, that is totally possible.
If you’re happy with the services provided, a tip – though not compulsory – is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it’s of great significance for the people who will take care of you during the trek. It inspires excellent service and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many SAM Travel Peru destinations. Of course you are free to tip more or less as you feel, depending on your perception of the quality and the length of your trip. Remember, a tip is not compulsory and should only be given when you receive excellent service.
ARE YOU SUSTAINABLE?
Yes, we are a local sustainable & responsible tourism operator in that we incorporate the universal principles of tourism: protect the environment and benefit the local communities respecting their culture and religion. With this in mind, we have trained all our staff to know, understand and respect the local places and it´s people.
PACKING LIST FOR THE SHORT INCA TRAIL MACHU PICCHU
The Short Inca Trail Machu Picchu DOES NOT INCLUDE the extra porter, so, you will need to carry all your things, please try to pack as light as possible which is the key to enjoying this amazing trek.
- Original Passport (it has to be the same you have used for booking your trek)
- Good daypack (25 to 30 liters)
- Water 1 to 2 liters of water
- Comfortable hiking boots with ankle support
- Toilet Paper
- 1 t-shirts
- 1 hiking or comfortable pants
- Hiking socks
- Polar or sweater for early mornings and evenings
- Jacket if cold season
- Face moisturizer
- Hand Sanitizer
- Wet wipes
- Toothbrush and paste
- Personal medications
- Sun Hat
- Wool Hat if cold season for evenings or early morning
- Rain jacket – rainy season
- Snacks like chocolate bars, cereal bars or any dry fruit
- Rain plastic poncho (provided by SAM)
- Extra Money for Souvenirs, Drinks & Tips